The inbuilt SCANPST utility
Microsoft Outlook comes with a built-in utility called ScanPST.exe (Inbox Repair Tool) developed by Microsoft to repair a corrupt or inaccessible PST file. But at times, the Inbox Repair tool may fail to repair PST file and may lead to appear in a more corrupted form.
Scanpst, also known as Inbox Repair Tool, is an application that comes along with Microsoft Outlook. As the name implies, it scans & repairs the corrupted or broken PST files. PST (Personal Storage Table) contains all the emails from Inbox, Outbox, Drafts, Sent Items, etc along with other Outlook attributes saved in one common file with .pst extension. If this PST gets corrupted due to any reason, you will not be able to access the Outlook profile.
What can you do when the ScanPST fails to repair a Corrupt Outlook PST file?
- The Fix PST Tool is the best choice to repair a damaged PST file in a safe and secure way
- This is a highly-recommended application built with an easy-to-use interface
- You can download it now and try repairing MS Outlook PST file for FREE
Supported Windows OS Versions: Microsoft Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008
Supported Outlook Versions: Microsoft Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013, Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007, Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2000
Some other scenarios in which PST files might turn corrupt –
- PST files stored on the Server or transferred over the network are very likely to get damaged. So, always store them on local computers.
- When MS Outlook is closed unexpectedly while it is in use, either due to a power cut or switching off the system by pressing the power button, PST files might get broken or damaged.
Make use of PST File Repair tool to overcome the above-mentioned situations & to fix Outlook folders like Inbox, Outbox, Sent Items & Drafts containing emails. You can know more about the recovery procedure on this site. This software will repair the PST file and make all the Outlook attributes & emails accessible even from a password-protected profile.
can preview the repaired items in an Outlook-styled interface if you
use this software. It is possible to
Outlook data file effectively for recovering emails, Calendar
items, Contacts, Tasks, etc. using this software.
It is also possible to fix corrupted OST file by using the third party tools. It may get corrupt due to synchronization error, virus attack and some other reasons. Because of this, you may lose all data that is stored while working in offline mode. But still it is possible to access emails and other information from it, by using repair software. To fix OST file from Outlook 2007, you can visit this page.
Steps to fix corrupt PST file when the scanpst cannot repair–
1. Download and install the software on your system & run it.
2. From the main screen select one of the options from “Open PST File”, “Find PST File” and “Select Outlook Profile”, according to your requirement.
3. Choose the scan type & the destination folder to save the repaired PST file & click “Next".
4. Preview summary of the repaired file.
In the Task Manager, close outlook.exe from the Processes tab, before shutting down the system.
More about Outlook SCANPST
Scanpst.exe is your first-aid kit when you encounter an error in MS Outlook. But it’s working is limited as it can only fix PST files with minor corruption i.e. only the files that have header corruption. Some limitations of Scanpst are – Scanpst may report no errors in the PST file but sometimes, the Outlook still shows error. There are chances of losing data if scanpst.exe failed to repair PST file errors. In Outlook 2003 & earlier versions of MS Outlook, there is a limit to PST file of up to 2GB. When the PST file reaches or exceeds this limit PST gets corrupted. Scanpst exe will not open or handle PST files which run over the 2GB size limit. It rebuilds the corrupted PST file based on its structure, therefore when there is some problem in the PST file structure & you encounter “The file abcd.pst is not a personal folders file” error, scanpst fails to repair PST file. When a virus attacks your system, all the data including the Outlook PST files get damaged making Outlook attributes and emails inaccessible. Scanpst cannot recover emails from PST files damaged due to these malwares. Follow http://www.howtofixpstfiles.com/recover-emails.html how to recover them back. If a profile is protected with a password then scanpst cannot recover data from the PST file.